Monday 20 August 2012

Mutual mistakes or "The Hall of Shame" if you like

What am I going to publish now are some mistakes from tournament in Gothenburg.
It is not going to be just from my games, but from a games which I were interested in.
I am sure that it were many more mistakes in this tournament, but I want to publish these were probably both players missed to find right moves, let´s say mutual mistakes.
After two examples of this kind of mistakes, I will publish one example of missed move in combination which actually works but both players thought that the combination is not possible.
In a way, that was also mutual mistake.
Let´s see what happened.

Bejtovic Jasmin (E2393) - Tikkanen Hans (E2570)

Many readers surely remembers that I published the whole series examples from the bishop endgames. I got one of these in my game against Swedish Champion.
This game was my weakest presentation in Gothenburg. If we did not made this mutual mistake, than it would be tight between my game against Thomas Henrichs and this game for this opposite to prestigious title.


It was move 39 and Hans had much better position. I would dare to say that this position is already winning for black but I did not analysed it in depth so let´s describe it in this diplomatic way.
He played natural looking move:
39...e5 
but this move deserves ?? , maybe more because in one move Black goes from winning position to losing position.
40. Bc3 ??  
and everything were just normal.
40...exd4
41. exd4 
and Black won without further troubles.
What could happen if White (the guy from a caricature) played
40. e4  
...you can just imagine.

Berg Emanuel (E2576) - Semcesen Daniel (E2463)

Here comes one more example of mutual mistake.


In this position Daniel, who was under long pressure, played...
48...Qe7 ??
Emanuel missed his chance and played
49. Qd6 ??
The game continued:
49...Nxd5!
50. Bxd5, Qe3 
and black eventually drew (after one failed draw reclamation)



Emanuel missed:
49. Nd6 with a terrible treat of Nf5+ and g4# or Qh2#
Black can not escape with his king, for example
49...Kg7
50. Qxc7, Qxc7
51. Ne8+ +-
or...
49...Kh5
50. Ne4 and White just wins.

Nithander Victor (E2438) - Bejtovic Jasmin (E2393)

This example is much harder then previous examples, but is also example of mutual mistake (but this time not on the board, just in the calculation of both players).


Black is winning here. I played:
29...Na7?
and after
30. Qb3
position is not clear. I eventually lost this game.
Of course that I calculated (and Victor too), the most obvious move for black:
29...Qh4
A conclusion was that White needs to play
30. Rg1 
Which is right. If he playes 30. Ne5 I can just take 30...Rxe5
31. fxe5, Ne5 and mate him with all my pieces against his lonely king.
I can go for an combination now.
30...Rxe2
31. Rxg6, Qxf2
Of course that we both calculated this.
In our calculation White had a draw by:
32. Rxg7+, Kxg7
33. Qb7+, Ne7
34. Rg1+
and on the next move 35. Qg2 when position is balanced.


Let´s look at this position after 32.Rxg7+
Both of us missed that Black could refuse to take on g7 and play just
32...Kh8!!
As the matter of fact, I did not missed completely this move, but I looked at it quicly with conclusion that does not change anything because of Rg8+
It changes everything!
There are no checks with the queen so White has Rg8+ and Rh7+ .
We shall look separate on both:


A.
33. Rg8+, Kxg8 
and there is no check with the queen, so...
34. Rg1+, Kh8
and Black is winning, because there are no more usefull checks

B.
33. Rh7+, Kxh7
All right, but there is a queen check
34. Qb7+, Ne7
... but what happened with a rook check on g1? Nothing, it vanished.
Black wins, and the guy from caricature takes all the fame.
No!
I have to wait for the next chance, and build up my calculation abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment